Planning for the 120th Washington’s Birthday Celebration is officially underway and under the guidance of the 2016 – 2017 Washington’s Birthday Celebration Association (WBCA) President Enrique “Eddie” Villarreal. The WBCA Executive Committee and Board of Directors also welcomed new additions to their respective rosters.
“I have been around the Washington’s Birthday Celebration Association for most of my life. This organization is made up of volunteers and director volunteers that have dedicated their time to improving the quality of life for the people of Laredo. These volunteers along with a hard working staff and many generous sponsors make the Washington Birthday Celebration a spectacular festival drawing people from all over. I am honored and humbled to serve as president of this amazing organization.”
Enrique “Eddie” Villarreal is a graduate of Nixon High School. He obtained his Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Texas A&M International University and is a 2010 graduate of the Southwest CUNA Management School of Credit Unions –SCMS. Previous to his involvement in the finance industry, Mr. Villarreal was a Texas Commission Real Estate Broker and State of Texas General Real Estate Appraiser. He has been President of the Tex-Mex Credit Union for the past twelve years.
Villarreal had been involved with the WBCA for many years prior to being elected to the Board of Directors in 2003. He originally served on the Jalapeño Festival Association Board and was president of the Jalapeno Festival in 1984. He has served on the H-E-B Fireworks Extravaganza committee, as a committee member and as Chairperson. He has been Chair of the International Bridge Ceremony and has served as the Chairman of VIP Transportation. He received the WBCA Joseph Netzer Award in 2007 and Matias de Llano Memorial Award in 2010.
Mr. Villarreal was also involved with the Laredo Builders Association, as well as numerous other local organizations. He enjoys hunting, fishing and spending time with his family. He is married to Martha E. Villarreal. They have four children Eddie, Arturo, Amelie, Rebecca and one grandchild Ava.
“With 28 events in about 33 days, the Washington’s Birthday Celebration has ‘Something for Everyone’,” Villarreal said. “Now it’s time to get into our party mode and start planning WBCA’s 120th Celebration!”
PEREGOY JOINS THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE AS TREASURER
Bobby Peregoy is selected as this year’s WBCA Treasurer. His involvement with the WBCA began in 2002 as a volunteer for the IBC Youth Parade under the Stars. Peregoy is a graduate of United High School and holds undergraduate and graduate degrees from Texas A&M International University and Villanova University, respectively. He was appointed to the WBCA Board of Directors as a Presidential Appointee in 2010. In addition, Peregoy received the WBCA Joseph Netzer Award in 2012 and the Matias De Llano Award in 2015.
Peregoy currently serves as Human Resources Director for the Webb County Appraisal District and holds two certifications in the Human Resources field as a Professional in Human Resources (PHR) and a Society for Human Resource Management – Certified Professional (SHRM-CP). In addition, Peregoy is also certified as a Registered Professional Appraiser with the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation.
In addition to the Washington’s Birthday Celebration Association, Peregoy has dedicated time to the Laredo Chapter of Ducks Unlimited, serving as both a volunteer and Chairman and has also been actively involved with the Laredo Chamber of Commerce Cola Blanca Big Buck Contest serving as both volunteer and Committee Chairman.
Peregoy enjoys spending time outdoors and hunting the South Texas brush country. He is married to Margaret M. Peregoy and they have two children, Riley and Jackson.
“Since 2002, my involvement with WBCA has been such a rewarding experience, and it has been a pleasure serving my community,” Peregoy said, “I’m excited to serve on the Executive Committee, and I look forward to continuing my service to Laredo and WBCA for the next six years!”
The newly elected Board of Directors and appointees for the 2016-17 year were also announced at the recent meeting. The WBCA board is made up of leaders and professionals from the community. Elected board members serve three-year terms and volunteer countless hours of their own time to make all of the annual events a success.
The Executive Committee members for the 119th Celebration are:
- Enrique “Eddie” Villarreal, WBCA President (Tex-Mex Credit Union)
- Jeffrey G. Puig, WBCA President-Elect(Civil Engineering Consultants)
- James “Jay” Puig, WBCA 1st Vice-President(Compass Real Estate Investments)
- Randy Blair, WBCA 2nd Vice-President (Blair & Blair, P.C.)
- Bobby Peregoy, WBCA Treasurer (Webb County Appraisal District)
- Dr. Joe Castellano, WBCA Ex – Officio (Immediate Past President) (Castellano & Carpenter Dental Associates, P.C.)
The 2016 – 2017 Board of Directors include:
- AnnaIsabel Alvarez – WBC Museum
- Amelia E. Bravo – BBVA Compass
- Nancy Brice – Vaquillas, LLC
- Anita Cavazos – Back in Action Physical Therapy
- Olga Gentry – St. Augustine High School
- Matthew Gibson – Liquid Studio Group
- Jesse Gonzalez – TAMIU
- Dr. J. Manuel Gonzalez, Jr. – Advanced Dental Care
- Martha O. Gonzalez – TAMIU
- Rochelle V. Gonzalez – Doctors Hospital
- Chris Haynes – WH Mortgage Solutions & Haynes Properties
- Anabella R. Herbig – State Farm Insurance
- Natalie Hernandez – Falcon International Bank
- Avery G. Jackson -Texas Community Bank
- Greg Kahn – Kahn Insurance Agency
- Jerry Lara – Enterprise Holdings
- Claudio Lerma – Clarian Investments
- Reagan Macdonald – Texas Community Bank
- Edward F. Maddox – Benavides Maddox, P.C.
- Michael A. Marasco – McDonald’s of Laredo
- Rafael A. Martinez – Laredo Federal Credit Union
- Sara A. Melendez De Los Santos – U.S. Customs and Border Protection
- Fernando R. Montemayor Jr. – IBC Investment Services
- Norma Moore – Laredo Community College
- Evelyn Sames – Sames Motor Company
- Fred Santos, IV – Santos Consulting International
- Cordelia L. Valdez – Webb County
- Christina Valls – United ISD
- Javier Villarreal – Community Leader
- Nydia Weathers – Gentle Family Dentistry
- Lupita Zepeda – AT&T
- Lisa Zuñiga – Zuniga Enterprises
The 2016 – 2017 Presidential Appointees serving one-year terms are:
- Bryon “Andy” Alford – U.S. Department of Transportation
- David Garza – Print Xpress
- David Ramos – IBC Bank
- Clarissa Rangel – City of Laredo
- Dr. Albert Salinas – Laredo Community College
The 120th Washington’s Birthday Celebration dates are January 19 – February 20, 2017. The Washington’s Birthday Celebration, founded in 1898, is the largest Celebration of its kind in the United States. Throughout the years, the Celebration has grown to be over a month long and consists of parades, dazzling pageants, fireworks, a carnival, an air show, a sizzling Jalapeño Festival and much more. Combined, WBCA events attract nearly 500,000 residents and visitors, and yearly contributes an estimated $14 million to the local economy. The Washington’s Birthday Celebration was recently ranked as one of the Top 100 Events in North America.